Saturday, January 30, 2010

Eduardo Catalano, the ending of an era...

Two days ago (Jan 28) legendary architect and designer Eduardo Catalano passed away at the age of 92. Although I never knew the man, he certainly had a profound impact on my design sensibilities, my love of architecture, and thus both my education and career path. Surely there are many of us out there who can say the same. For us, and for all those affiliated with the local design community, this is not only a very sad day, but the end of an era.

As a kid, growing up in the area, I somehow stumbled upon the wreckage of the original Raleigh House, I think I was about 16 at the time. I remember standing in the woods with my high school girlfriend, the fragments of the house laid out before us, almost as if we had stumbled across some great ancient ruin... Vividly, I remember lighting up a cigarette and knowing my life would never be the same, as I had just been unwittingly ushered into the world of architecture. The years would pass by and subsequent visits would occur, although probably not quite as many as I would have liked. By the end it seemed like every visit would be the last, almost as if I was visiting someone who was terminally ill, and that in itself was more than a little unsettling. Ultimately the Raleigh House's fate was sealed, in that incarnation at least, and it was eventually leveled. By the end, we'd all come to expect it's inevitable demolition, some of us even came to accept it, but it never sat right with me that such an iconic structure would have ever been put in such a position in the first place.

There have been multiple attempts to revitalize the project in various locations around Raleigh but unfortunately none have come to fruition. The latest attempt, as reported here at Raleigh AAU, was to be constructed in the area of Dorthea Dix under the direction of the NCSU College of Design, in conjunction with Triangle Modernist Houses. However, it's become increasingly unclear as to the project's current status, considering the circumstances.

I am hopeful, although not overly confident, that we've learned our lesson considering our city's significant structures. Thankfully, due to various advocacy groups, there now seems to be a larger collective awareness about these issues, but only time will tell.

To read more on Edwardo Catalano please see his page on Triangle Modernist Houses

To learn more on the latest rebuilding efforts please see our earlier article (Aug 2009) Catalano House to be Rebuilt

1 comment:

  1. I did know Eduardo Catalano. He was a wonderful man, a gentleman in all definitions of the word. He was a man with great vision, a vision without bounds. His many architectural "gifts" to this world will live on.

    Larry Smith

    ReplyDelete