Saturday, July 11, 2009

What could this be?

So I am heading downtown to Boylan Avenue and I happen upon this structure which is curiously all by itself in a field next to what appears to be an abandoned manufacturing facility.


Curious as always, I stop for a minute to inspect what it might be. Truthfully, I had no idea. My first thought was that it could be some kind of installation. My wife suggested that it might have some sort of relation to the nearby train tracks, maybe a conductor's office for example. After a few minutes, we had no idea so we got back in the car and continued on our way.

A short time later, I'm driving, still thinking about what the structure may have been and I notice a building that seems oddly familiar. It's the new Hue Condominium project. But why does look so familiar? Then it hits me, the small structure that we saw a few blocks back must be some sort of trial run or teaching tool for the contractors who would be installing the exterior of the building. By using the same materials and detailing, a small detail (or a very large study model) was likely as practice before finishing the actual project.

You'll notice the exact same materials and detailing used in both structures. The same color palette too. As for the project itself, I think the location is perfect for a mixed use building. The design is fairly interesting, but to me something seems to be lacking. However, I am all for the concept of urban living and mixed-use developments. Hopefully all the condos sell, but in my amateurish opinion, it seems like Raleigh's downtown is over-priced and over-built given the current housing market. I always want downtown developments to succeed to continue fueling the urban renaissance that taking place all across the country, of which downtown Raleigh is an excellent case study.


No comments:

Post a Comment